Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Ladder of Inference in the Classroom

 Amber found a wonderful way to help her students explore point of view using the ladder of inference.  Here are her comments.

I just wanted to share a couple examples of ladders of inference my students did in class as part of our “To Kill a Mockingbird” unit. I introduced the ladder and gave them an example using a character from the book. They then read an article about the Trayvon Martin case and created their own in groups. They could choose to write it from George Zimmerman’s perspective or from their own perspective on the case. I thought they turned out pretty good! Obviously, we tied it into themes about race and justice and they connected it to Tom Robinson. Today, they had to do another one related to a character in the book, and I’m going to have them do one on themselves at the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment