Sunday, September 8, 2013

Keith's Reflection on a Teacher Who Made a Difference

The teacher's name was Archie Savage, who was the first partner to Katherine Dunham.  He made an impact on my life in a major way. The one experience that stands out most clearly was his holistic way of imparting not only knowledge about a critical time of American History (Jim Crow Era), but integrating the historical aspect into a theatre acting experience that brought forth an incredible human experience.

He framed my deliverance of a song, "Another Man Done Gone," by requesting that I  research the Jim Crow Era, and do a report on it.  He scaffolded this research by making it applicable to my life.  He pushed me to associate loss   by exploring the absence of a person in my life. This personalization made this teaching/learning moment an incredible experience as an actor, singer, human being, and someone who understands the impact of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment