Sunday, October 13, 2013

Below is a great piece analyzing a department meeting using the ladder of inference.  My congratulations to Deanna and Team M and M.  Well done.

Recently in the Math Department, the teachers had a discussion about giving partial credit or taking full points off tests and quizzes for each problem missed.  The topic came up to consider if all teachers should grade in the same way.  Each teacher seemed to be strong in their opinion based on their mental model for this subject.  This event challenged me to take a look at my mental model and why I do what I do in giving partial credit.  This event forced me to climb the ladder of inference.

Observations are made at the first rung of the ladder.  Standardized tests don’t give partial credit.  As we move to benchmark testing, they also do not give partial credit; the question is either right or wrong.  I am challenged to examine my way of thinking.  I also observe students.  Many students do not like math; they are discouraged about math, feel it is too hard.  As I move up the ladder, I realize I have basic beliefs about teaching and wanting to be encouraging to my students.  I draw conclusions and make assumptions that if I don’t give partial credit many middle school students will get discouraged, and will not try as hard to show their work.   Many students are afraid of math and scared to try.  I want to reinforce their effort of trying.  I draw my conclusion that I am grading in the best way for middle school math students and remain in my belief system that giving partial credit will encourage student engagement and will encourage them to keep trying.  I then make my action of giving partial credit on tests and quizzes.
 Each teacher seems to be strong in their opinion of why they do what they do with grading tests and quizzes.  I do wonder, did I move up the ladder to quickly?  Is my mental model too strong or should I take a look at this subject again?   

So  Deanna and her department need to continue this important conversation. Using the tools of advocacy and inquiry, they can hear each other, lay out their mental models and come to consensus. This takes time and a passion for shared understandings.  That is what makes a school strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment